William Paterson University
Jason Kendall is adjunct instructor of Astronomy at William Paterson University.
Jason is teaching one section of General Astronomy in the Fall of 2019:
Online Introductory Astronomy ClassCRN: 44146, PHYS 1700-81, Online lectures and laboratory activities.
Module 11: The Big BangVideos: 1 | 2 | 2.1 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Supplement the videos with readings from "OpenStax Astronomy"
Other Approved Learning Resources for the class
Further Learning and Textbooks (not required. Just as an FYI.)
- Introduction to Cosmology a good online book by Ryden
- The First Three Minutes: A Modern View of the Origin of the Universe by Weinberg
- Cosmology: A Very Short Introduction by Coles
Astronomy Lesson 11_06: The Inflationary Epoch
The Inflationary Epoch solves a number of problems associated with the Standard Big Bang model. It also raises some wild questions about the nature of the origin of the cosmos.
- The basics
- Inflationary epoch
- Cosmological Inflation
- Critical Density
- Grand Unified Theory (GUT)
- Grand Unified Theory (GUT): elementary...
- Quantum Gravity
- Quantum Gravity: simpler...
- Phase Transition
- BICEP2 attempt to see effects of gravitational waves on CMB
- False Vacuum
- Quantum Foam