William Paterson University
Jason Kendall is adjunct instructor of Astronomy at William Paterson University.
Jason is teaching one section of General Astronomy in the Fall of 2019:
Online Introductory Astronomy ClassCRN: 44146, PHYS 1700-81, Online lectures and laboratory activities.
Module 9: The Milky WayVideos: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Supplement the videos with readings from "OpenStax Astronomy"
Astronomy Lesson 09_02: The Cosmic Distance Debate
The stars move in many ways. They are not fixed in the sky, but changes slowly over the centuries.
- The Milky Way
- Sidereus Nuncius
- Thomas Wright
- William Herschel
- Caroline Herschel
- Kant's "Universal Natural History and Theory of Heaven"
- William Parsons, 3rd Earl of Rosse
- Alexander von Humboldt
- Pierre-Simon Laplace
- Jacobus Kapteyn
- RR Lyrae stars
- The globular cluster M4 in the eyes of Kepler/K2
- Kepler Space Telescope
- “The RR Lyrae Distance to the Draco Dwarf Spheroidal Galaxy”
- RR Lyrae (AAVSO)
- Harlow Shapley
- Interstellar Reddening
- Annie Jump Cannon
- Henrietta Swan Leavitt
- Cepheid variable
- Instability strip
- Great Debate
- Heber Curtis
- Edwin Hubble
- Hubble viewing Hubble's Cehpeids
- "The Realm of the Nebulae"