William Paterson University
Jason Kendall is adjunct instructor of Astronomy at William Paterson University.
Jason is teaching one section of General Astronomy in the Fall of 2019:
Online Introductory Astronomy ClassCRN: 44146, PHYS 1700-81, Online lectures and laboratory activities.
Module 8: Black Holes and Gravitational WavesVideos: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Supplement the videos with reading from "OpenStax Astronomy"
Astronomy Lesson 08_01: Black Holes.
Black Holes are the ultimate triumph of gravity over matter. The most mysterious objects in the cosmos, as they do not reveal their innards to any probe.
- John Michell
- Karl Schwarzschild
- J. Robert Oppenheimer
- Hartland Snyder
- Escape Speed
- "On Continued Gravitational Contraction"
- Equivalence principle
- Schwarzschild metric
- Satellites orbiting around a massive body
- Gravitational Red Shift
- Gravitational time dilation
- Gravitational lensing
- Hubble sees gravitationally lensed galaxies
- Dr. Andrew Hamilton's website about black holes
- "The river model of black holes"
- Cygnus X-1
- NASA's view of Cygnus X-1
- X-ray binary
- List of known black holes
- Interstellar and Gargantua
- Milky Way Supermassive Black Hole
- Hawking radiation
- Converting mass to length
|08_01: Black Holes.|
|08_02: Gamma Ray Bursts|
|08_03: Gravitational Waves Discovered|
|08_04: Gravitational Waves' First Light|