William Paterson University
Jason Kendall is adjunct instructor of Astronomy at William Paterson University.
Jason is teaching one section of General Astronomy in the Fall of 2019:
Online Introductory Astronomy ClassCRN: 44146, PHYS 1700-81, Online lectures and laboratory activities.
Module 4: Measuring the StarsVideos: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Supplement the videos with readings from "OpenStax Astronomy"
Astronomy Lesson 04_01: Stellar Spectral Classification
Here we learn what the dark lines in the spectra of stars mean, and the history behind their understanding.
- OBAFGKM Classification
- Wien's Law
- Kirchhoff's three laws of spectroscopy
- Edward Charles Pickering
- Williamina Fleming
- Annie Jump Cannon
- Henry Draper Catalogue
- Cecilia Payne-Gaposchkin I made some mistakes about her in my video. Please note this page.
- Stellar Atmospheres; a Contribution to the Observational Study of High Temperature in the Reversing Layers of Stars.
- Sloan Digital Sky Survey Sample Spectra, Data Release 5
- T dwarf spectrum: Burgasser, et al, 2006.