Introductory Astronomy Videos
Module 6: The Sun: Measuring and Understanding the Closest StarSupplements and Credits
Supplement the videos with "OpenStax Astronomy"
01: The Sun's Bulk PropertiesIn this little interlude, we chat about the bulk properties of the Sun, and some other interesting factoids. Mass, Volume, Density, Temperature, and otherl things that relate to the Sun as a whole.
02: The Sun's Surface AppearanceHere we learn all about what the Sun looks like! Prominences, Flares, Sunspots, Ejections! It's a much more active place than you think. It's also mesmerizing, like looking at a fire while camping.
- Photospheric Features
- Solar Flare
- Carrington Solar Flare
- Coronal Mass Ejection
- Space Weather
- NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory
- NASA's STEREO Spacecraft & Instruments
- NASA's SOHO, the Solar & Heliospheric Observatory
- NOAO's McMath-Pierce Solar Telescope
- Dr. Vishnu Reddy
- Stan Honda
- Alan Friedman
- NASA's Solar Storm and Space Weather FAQ
- NASA's Solar wind visualization
- Effect of the Solar wind on Mars and Earth
- The Dynamic Solar Magnetic Field
- Aurora seen from the International Space Station
03: The Core of the SunHerein we discuss the core of the Sun and its conditions. The core of the Sun is where all of the action begins. It contains the conditions we find in all stars on the Main Sequence.
04: Energy Transport in the SunHere we learn how energy moves around in the Sun, and take a peek at the basic equations of stellar structure.
05: What Powers the Sun?Here we learn how the Sun shines, and how long it will shine, as well as some of the great questions of 19th century Physics. We'll also see what your smile looks like when you get a Nobel Prize.
- Jim Hutton's Siccar Point
- Gravitational Potential Energy
- Kelvin–Helmholtz mechanism
- The discovery of radioactivity
- Wilhelm Röntgen
- Timeline of Nuclear Physics Discoveries
- Einstein's Mass-Energy Equivalence
- Sir Arthur Eddington
- William Thomson, 1st Baron Kelvin
- Hermann von Helmholtz
- Alpha Decay
- Quantum Tunnelling
- George Gamow
- Gamow Peak
- The Proton-Proton Chain
- Tsar Bomba
- Hans Bethe
- Henri Becquerel
06: The Solar Neutrino ProblemHere we learn how the Standard Model of Physics was tested, and how the existence of fusion in the core of the Sun was actually determined. This led to two Nobel Prizes, and a lot of dry-cleaning fuild down a deep, deep hole.